Founding Intensive Community Sites
The National Institutes of Health launched We Can!® with 14 Founding Intensive Community Sites. In exchange for curricula training, materials, and technical assistance to support local partnership and media outreach, these sites agreed to complete an intensive version of the program, including the following activities over one year:
- Attend a program orientation meeting
- Implement at least three youth programs in their community
- Implement at least three parent programs in their community
- Administer pre- and post-test curriculum evaluations to program participants and submit the results for evaluation by NHLBI
- Organize and host at least three community events
- Provide feedback via conference calls about community events, partner activities, media outreach, and materials development
- Assess their program implementation and provide information to NIH
Read the We Can! Progress Report (4.5 MB) that summarizes an initial assessment of the We Can! program as it was implemented in these Intensive Community Sites around the country. It includes the methodology and detailed results for each of the implementations by the sites of We Can! curricula.
These 14 Sites continue to implement We Can! programs in their communities and provide other sites with valuable lessons. Read more about each of the sites in the following summaries.